ObjectSpace VoyagerTM 3.1 is
a major release. The behavior and API of version 3.0 are
preserved. Voyager 3.1 provides significant new
- LDAP integration with Voyager ORB Professional, Voyager
Security, and Voyager Application Server.
- Dynamic XML, providing distributed access to XML documents
as Java objects and facilitating remote/local creation
and modification of XML documents.
- Location forwarding and wide-character support for CORBA.
- Connection management between Voyager VMs.
- Distributed garbage collection management extensions.
- Replicated directories and load balanced directories for
load balancing and scalability support.
- Universal Gateway support for COM objects.
- Usability enhancements to Voyager Management Console.
Additional changes from version 3.0 include:
- Changes in voyager command line usage.
- Objects no longer need to implement java.rmi.Remote or
com.objectspace.voyager.IRemote to be remote-enabled.
Voyager Release History:
- An implementation of Sun's JNDI specification.
- Support for the RMI protocol and API. Voyager may act as
an RMI registry and as an RMI client.
- Persistent directory support (used primarily by Voyager
Management Console and JNDI).
- Light client support, which provides mini-orb
functionality using a minimal .jar file.
- Agents can now "carry" .jar files with them
when they move.
- CORBA Naming Service implementation.
- CORBA context propagation support.
- CORBA narrowing support.
- Access to CORBA Object operations.
- Dynamic IDL/Instance mapping.
- Various other CORBA enhancements.
- Voyager Management Console, a graphical tool to
- Configuration and management services, allowing Voyager
servers to be remotely administered.
- Voyager Security.
- Voyager Transactions.
- Voyager Application Server including EJB support.
- A problem that caused Facets.of() to occasionally throw a
NullPointerException has been fixed.
- An initialization problem with the resource server
functionality has been fixed.
- There are various fixes to the proxy generation package.
- Sync.invoke() did not handle exceptions properly when the
object was a proxy. This has been fixed.
- Voyager is now JavaTM2
(JDKTM 1.2) compatible.
- VoyagerDB, a simple persistence mechanism integrated with
Activation, is now part of the distribution.
- Several issues with Activation have been resolved.
- Static proxy classes generated for version 2.0.0 using
the pgen utility will need to be regenerated to avoid a
class versioning conflict.
- Voyager no longer requires certain classes to be
available on both client and server. Specifically, when
the client uses an interface and the object implementing
that interface is only on the server, it is not necessary
for the class for that object to exist on the client.
- Thread pool uses its own ThreadGroup when creating
ReusableThreads, fixing a problem with servlets.
- Added getEventCode() to return the event code of a
- igen now works if the I*.java file does not exist.
- Voyager resource server can serve classes from compressed
- Namespace.bind( "alias" ) works in applets
during an attempt to open a connection back to the applet
via the router.
- Applet mode: Namespace.bind() to a local alias succeeds.
- Implemented workaround for com.ms.SecurityException in
Microsoft VM caused by classloading/reflection issue when
run through COM.
- igen no longer generates extra 0x0A's ('\r') when reading
- Server-to-client messaging works for applets.
- Several minor updates to cgen have been added.
- Improved transmission of object references as IORs to
avoid unnecessary type truncation.
- Dynamic Proxy generation
- CORBA Integration
- Dynamic Aggregation
- Activation Framework
- igen and cgen
- pgen (pro)
- Classloading no longer automatic
- Console logging system
Copyright © 1997-1999 ObjectSpace, Inc., 14850 Quorum Drive, Suite
500, Dallas, TX 75240 USA. All rights reserved.